Rhythm Recording Project

6021546845_52ddcfb7ea_z

picture on Flickr from ohrfeus

Summary

For this project we were given a song on GarageBand that wasn’t in the pocket. We then had to fix up the timing and little cuts to get the timing right. This blog post includes screenshots of what I was doing in GarageBand throughout the project.

Recording Techniques Demonstrated

Screenshots:

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.09.32 AM This is the beginning song with messed up tempo’s. We figured out that the drum track is fine, it’s the little pieces and timing that doesn’t work well with each other. This is a problem that needs to be fixed. I had to work with controlling the timing of the grooving tracks. That means finding which tracks need editing, and how much editing they need. For some tracks I had to trim, for others I had to extend, and reposition some notes to fit the groove.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.14.27 AM To fix the first song, we had to find out how the beats work together, so we can then improve their tempo, so I went here and saw how the two low beats work with each other. We saw how similar the bass and the kick snare in the drum kit are. Unless you work in music, it is nearly impossible to hear the difference. I then looked at the different options of a drum track. When I find the one I want I set it to be the drum line for the piece of music. For me this was the Half-Pipe drum line.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.17.52 AMWe were given this GarageBand track that includes six audio regions from an award-winning hip hop dance duet. On their own they sound fine, but they needed a bit of work to make them match up with each other. To fix this track, we had to overdub some of the tracks to make them fit.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.21.17 AMThis is a picture of me actually recording the overdub of one of the audio regions to blend the piece with the overall track.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.17.14 AM This is during the trimming and re-positioning stage of this project.

Terms and Concept Definitions

• Meter- a repeating stress, accent, or pattern that keeps the pulse of the song. It’s like the heartbeat of the song
  • Pacing- the speed the composition is played at
  • Tempo- is the speed at which a passage of music should be played. Beats per minute
  • Beat- a rhythmic movement or speed that the music is played at
  • Hip Hop- rap with an electronic background
  • Out of the Pocket- not in the groove with the rest of the composition
  • Quantize- transforming musical notes to an underlying musical representation. Keeping on beat
  • Single Take- took one attempt. One and done
  • Multipass Recording-recording multiple times
  • Overdub-recording over what is already there, or playing along with it
  • C1 Octave Range- middle c on a piano
  • Cowbell- a precussive instrument used for cool effects
  • Drum Kit- what you think of when you hear the word drums
  • Kick Drum- low end of the drum kit
  • Snare Drum-the middle/high end of the drum kit sounds
  • drum machine (8o8)- a popular drum machine sound
  • Loop- seemless repeat of a sonund
  • Arpeggiation-playing the 1,3,5, and 1 scale
  • Sound Effects- sounds to fill silence, or to give an effect
  • One Shot Sound- little sounds in the backround.

What I Learned

In this project I learned how to solve a rhythmic problem. For instance when a track wasn’t fitting the groove, but was just good enough to not have to re-adjust the track completely, I had to overdub the track to fit the groove of the tracks. I also learned to control timing, follow other rhythms, record multi-pass drum beats, add regions to my GarageBand loop library, change the key of a loop to fit the track, adjust tempo’s and specific parts of a full track without starting over, record drum beats, and make audio and MIDI regions loop. I used a packet to make this project.